Waiting Time

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Thursday, June 10, 2010

bunnies

It has been just a crazy and emotionally draining week. Last week My dog got into a baby bunny nest and killed 2 baby bunnies. Actually she nearly killed one of them, and unfortunately I had to kill one because it was severely wounded and crying. I have never killed an animal before and I was traumatized. In the mean time I fenced off the area where the nest was, hoping the mom would come back. I had to go back to Milwaukee on last Friday to have my fingerprints redone, and I think it went ok.

On Saturday it was noticed by my cousin that the baby bunnies were out of the next, nearly frozen and being eaten alive by red ants. She and I made the decision to bring them in and try to rehabilitate them. Neither of us had ever done anything like this before, and had to make a decision quickly. They were probably within an hour of death, as they were only a few days old and so sick. We warmed them up, fed them glucose water and hoped for the best. I did not expect them to make it through the night, but they did, so I went and got kitten formula and pedialite from Walmart on Sunday morning. I learned this is what I should feed them through the internet. She and I took turns feeding and caring for the bunnies, which seemed to be doing well, but suddenly they became more lethargic over the last two days, and all 6 have since passed. There has been little sleep and much crying this past week. I am such an animal lover but this was draining. And to make matters worse, I am allergic to rabbits, and have been ill for 3 days.

I know that I have done the best I can, but am still feeling quite sad and tired. The only good thing about this past week, is that it took my mind off of waiting for the baby, which of course is now over, and that is all I can think of. Anyway, I hope this next week is much less tiring, and I hope I receive my report from immigration soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment